Tuesday, December 31, 2013
2013 In Review: 30 Random Facts About Me
For my last post of 2013, I thought it would be appropriate to do a personal post rather than a review or tutorial. I was recently tagged by Chloe of Oh So Wai to do the "30 Random Facts About Me" tag so let's see if I can reflect on the past year and share some things about me at the same time.
1. Every year I seem to think the year has flown by but I actually don't feel that way about 2013. This has been one of the longest, most jam packed years I have ever had and so far, I think it's probably one of the best years I've had in my life.
2. I turned 21 years old this month and celebrated it by having a regular dinner at home with my mom, boyfriend and two close childhood friends. We had some cake and watched "The Kings of Summer" which is pretty much what I wanted for my birthday.
3. There was absolutely no sarcasm in my previous fact and I sometimes joke that I'm a 50 year old trapped in a 21 year old body.
4. I recently read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and I cried about a half dozen times from beginning to end. I highly recommend it and am looking forward to reading other books by the same author.
5. I dislike Facebook culture because it's all "look at me, look at what I'm doing" but at the same time blogging feels that way sometimes. In that sense, I'm quite torn although I try to monitor myself and prevent myself from sounding like a braggart.
6. My favorite television shows include Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and Parks and Recreation. Orange is the New Black is one of my favorite shows of 2013 and I can't wait for the next season!
7. I really love to eat whether it's a $1 slice of pizza, tropical fruit from a road side stall in Malaysia or a pricey slab of steak served medium rare.
8. I tried to eat cleaner and go to the gym a few times a week for about a month in the fall but my busy schedule and lack of dedication prevailed. I need to get back on track for 2014 and strive toward a healthier lifestyle.
9. I don't know what I would do without my treasured daily planner. I meticulously write things down as I have very bad memory and making lists helps a lot with organizing my activities. Sometimes I plan out my days by hour in iCalendar to be more efficient.
10. Although I am not religious, I have a fascination with visiting religious sites and monuments. From cathedrals to monasteries, I'm interested in the architecture and aura of these places.
11. I have one more semester of college left before I graduate. My major is Corporate Communications and I plan to have a career in public relations.
12. There are few greater joys in life than being able to pet a friendly animal like a dog or cat. In a few years when I've moved out and settled in an apartment of my own, I hope to adopt a cat.
13. I have more fond memories of being in high school than college but I definitely grew more as a person throughout my college years.
14. I have worked in retail twice for a total of 10 months. Working in retail taught me a lot of useful skills from how to deal with difficult people to how to fold clothes really well. I think it was an invaluable life experience and think that everyone should work in the service industry at least once.
15. I rarely drink alcohol and have really pathetic tolerance. I don't like the taste of anything I have tried before and would rather use my calories on other things.
16. I got my driver's license over a year ago but rarely drive and I have never been behind the wheel without anyone else in the car. I feel a lot better when my boyfriend sits in the passenger's seat in the event that something might go wrong. I don't plan on driving a lot in the future since I mostly take public transportation anyway.
17. I'm shocked by how many people assume I am not American due to the way I look and how my name sounds. Especially when I was abroad, people constantly thought English was not my first language which actually offended me. It's a silly thing to be offended about but it irks me nonetheless.
18. I hate flying on airplanes, especially if the flights are over five hours. I prefer taking ground transport such as trains because the view is nicer.
19. I love driving at night. Or I guess I love being driven at night since I dislike driving. There's something very therapeutic about the darkness and the emptiness of the road.
20. I say "like" way too much and I hate it.
21. I need at least seven hours of sleep at night to function at full capacity the next day. I get really annoying headaches and have difficulty concentrating with six and a half hours of sleep.
22. I do not drink coffee regularly and even when I do, I don't seem to notice much improvement in my energy. I prefer my coffee with a lot of milk and sugar which is probably not a good thing.
23. I used to keep a very detailed inventory of my makeup collection in a word document. But eventually I became quite ashamed at how much I was accumulating and stopped keeping track.
24. Acne is still something I struggle with on and off. All of the people who told me it was a teenage problem lied. Luckily I'm a lot better at hiding blemishes with makeup and can usually clear them with skincare within a few days.
25. I would possibly get a tattoo but don't know what it would be and where it would go. I also would not tell anyone about it and make it very discreet as it would be a personal reminder rather than a public spectacle.
26. I think I've been getting pretty good at relaxing and going with the flow compared to past years. This year has definitely lowered my anxiety and nervousness and made me a more confident and reassured person.
27. My mom helped me dye my hair yesterday with a box of Revlon ColorSilk. It was my first time dyeing my hair at home and it came out pretty unevenly but I spent under $3 and I'm not too attached to my hair. I just wanted to do something different because I haven't changed my hair color in more than three years.
28. Natural lighting is very important to me and I try to rely on it as much as possible. I hope to have a home with huge windows facing west in the future so I can watch the sun set. When I lived in Amsterdam, I watched the sun set almost everyday and the sky would be an incredible watercolor-like painting of blue, pink and orange hues.
29. I am so glad to have met many wonderful bloggers and to have the chance to connect with them in real life. I rarely talk about blogging or my love for the beauty industry and all that type of stuff with other friends but blogging friends just get it. This past year I've been able to meet up with a few awesome ladies and can't wait for our future gatherings!
30. Tomorrow, I will spend the first day of 2014 on an airplane headed for South Korea. It will be the tenth country I will visit in 12 months! I am beyond excited that I am going with four of my closest girl friends and I'm sure the next two weeks will be incredibly rewarding.
I want to tag the following people (in no particular order) to share 30 things about themselves:
Lil Lady's Life
BeautyRedefined by Pang
That Je Ne Sais Quoi
Beauty Is Not Caused
Starry Eyed Beauty
Thank you for reading and I hope 2013 was a good year for you all! I can't wait to see what 2014 brings!